Dear Vance,

I can see that you are looking for what might have been an interesting
analogy
here, but the situation with Greek columns is not quite the same as the
issue
with lutes. As I understand it classical columns do have bilateral symetery
but
their shape from top to bottom is slightly convex because parallel sided
columns
are subject to the optical illusion of curving inwards over their length.
This is
a well known phenomenon in architecture - the curvature to counteract it
is known as entasis.

Quite a few lute makers in the 1970's made the assumption that lute bodies
were totally symeterical and followed a pattern where the backs had a
semi-circular
cross section. Those instruments, to my mind, never looked or felt quite
right.
The more recent lutes that faithfully copy the subtleties of the surviving
originals are IMHO much more convincing. Much of Renaissance art followed
the principle of the imitation of nature and the apparent symetery of nature
is
rarely what it seems. I was once in a class taught by a psychologist who had
made a study of the human face. He had photographed a number of people's
faces square to the camera and then cut the photos in half vertically along
the line of symetery. He then made mirror images of each side and
made new "faces" by matching each side with its true mirror image. The
result
was astonishing - very often the right side and its mirror image looked like
a totally different person to the other pair. My guess is that Renaissance
artists
and craftsmen knew a lot more about this sort of thing than we do today.

Best wishes,

Denys