Dear Michael,
Ed has explained the "split" third course very nicely in his
mailing so I don't need to mention that. If you look closely
at some of the early 16c. tablatures you will find that the
upper octave of the 4th course is sometimes forming
part of the melody line. Marco Dall'Aquila uses this
effect sometimes, and often uses chord fingerings that
accentuate the octave strings on the lower courses.
If you play 6 course lute a lot you start to notice these
subtleties. There are, of course, times when you need
to accentuate the lower note on the octave pairs. Very often
the fingering will do this for you, as a downstoke with the
thumb naturally accentuates the lower note and an upstroke
with the forefinger (usually indicated by a dot below the note)  likewise
gives a slight edge to the upper octave. So the fingering can sometimes
give clues of the composer's intentions. A lute with octave strings
from the 4th course downwards is definitely the right instrument
for much of the Italian 16th century repertoire. I am so glad to hear
that you are enjoying this music - there are some very lovely pieces
to be found there and it's surprising how little known some of them are.

Best wishes,

Denys