Yes,that's from Apel's book on notation, where the facsimile appears also. I
shudder to think how many grad students transcribed that piece.

Thousands.

Of course, it was Adolf Koczirz who first drew attention to the supposed
bi-tonality.  And he didn't get the tuning of the lower courses correct. So
if it was a "great faux pas" Apel was in good company. And
Koczirz must surely rank among the leading lute scholars of the pre-WW_II
generation.

That was just one of the books that made Apel a millionaire, one who retired
to a castle on the Danube.<g> So in the end he really gave all his critics a
raspberry.

Some of the pieces in Petrucci's books (Spinacino???) are also for five
course lute, and I think there are others in Newsidler.  By the way, those
Newsidler books are didactically ordered, and I suspect they were used to
train his son Melchior (b. ca. 1531) who would have been at an age to
begins his studies in music in 1536, 1540 and 1544. I've always felt those
pieces were selected to enchant a yound boy. The organist in the
parish where the Newsidlers lived was Sebald Hayden, a noted pedagogue. I
also suspect that that is where Melchior learned the masterful counterpoint
that characterizes his ricercars and fantasias.

Newsidler's 1536 book would be agood place to practice reading German
tablature.  All three books are available in facsimile. (See

http://www.omifacsimiles.com

Notice the second lineof theJudentanz facsimile.  You can see that some
ciphers have a line indicating the high fret,and others do not.

Arthur.