Herbert wrote:

>Suppose you put a large thick book on
>a music stand, directly in front of the lute.
>
>To what extent would this decrease the perceived
>volume for the audience in an auditorium?

I'd have to guess that the answer to that is tied up also in such variables as
the acoustic properties of the room you're playing in and how that is affected
by the amount of audience in the space and where they physically are. That
having been said I've seen many lutenists placing music on flat tables or
laying their stands as flat as they can and setting them low so that the lute
is up above the level of the stand. I'd have to say they do this for a good
reason beyond their own physical comfort.

Regards,
Craig

Signup at www.doteasy.com