Herb,
There is more to it than that.  Your description assumes that the top
of the neck is in a straight line with the soundboard.  Actually, on
some lutes the neck tilts back a fraction.  That brings the line of
the strings closer to parallel with the neck to make the action more
even from the top of the neck to the bottom without placing the
strings too close to the soundboard at the bridge.  And, as Gernot
points out, the strings can be of quite different diameters, with gut
bass strings being quite fat.  That requires the luthier to either
cant the neck towards the bass side, tilt the bridge towards the
treble, or both.  I've just finished fussing with a lute I built in
which the action was wrong and required remedial work.  It was quite
a learning experience, and I have much greater appreciation for a
lute in which the action is good.  These instruments seem simple at
first, but when you start measuring and comparing one to another, you
find that there is a great deal of subtle variation that a luthier
can put in to alter the sound and playing properties.  Building a
basic lute wasn't that hard for me, but I'm finding that building a
good lute is a challenge.  I didn't get there with this lute; perhaps
with the next one.

Tim