Hell Ed,

How badly must a lute be damaged? I think the question should be, how
much is a replacement lute worth?  Obvioulsly for any instrument, the
repair cost outweighs the decision to buy again.  Of course if one takes
the instrument to a luthier who is going to do everything in the pure
art form, and the instrument is not up to par with what is being built,
then I would say, either buy or repair yourself or at least in the
uncoventioanal way.  Take the action of a guitar or lute for example:

the proper method for fixing the action , is to take off the top,
reposition the neck, plane it if need be and reglue the top; a total of
at least 12 hours of work.  Now take the unconventional approach; saw
the neck  at the neck joint, to about the fret board, without sawing it
off, just enough to get some flexibility; pull the neck back or forward,
put a wedge to fill the gap and reglue,   there you go, a 2 hour job,
cheap and works just the same. However it is unconventional .  You say,
some people have more time than money; by the same token, some people
have more money than common sense. I  have seen people with lutes who
could not play for beans, and people with no money and only a cheap
lute, that could play really well.....  and some people willing to spend
a lot of money to fix something, simply by snobism, while others who are
being practical and spending their money where it will really make a
difference.

Take my latest venture, I have an 11 course lute, made in the late 70's
;  I don't use it much for 11 course music, so I have decided to convert
it to a small tiorbato; Now I could have the neck removed and have a
longer neck put on, with a double peg box, etc....The lute cost me 1000$
in 1978, which was then the price...however not up to par with what is
being made now.  So instead of refitting a new neck at a costly price, I
am having an extension added to the existing neck, by having first
removed the pegbox.  That will be less costly , and will work just as
well.....grant you may not be as esthetically pleasing, but I need a
lute to be able to play, and not to look at as a work of art to be
exhibited on my wall...
regards

Bruno Cognyl-Fournier