Wayne, you will find use for both a caliper and a micrometer, I have
sorta-cheap nylon calipers for casual use and much more expensive
electronic digital calipers for serious use.  Fitted wooden tray-boxes
protect each of them from accidents on the bench.  Nothing can protect
them from a trip to the floor tho.

Dont forget spare batterys for the electronic slide caliper.

A micrometer has serious range limitations, and can be a challenge to
read, but it also gets into some places that a slide caliper cant.
With special anvils you can accurately measure thread root diameters,
useful if one is making custom screws.

Many slide calipers have inconveniantly shaped body parts, making some
measurements imposible.  Stew-mac offers a modified slide caliper that
measures the height of an installed fret - using the depth guage rod in
reverse.

I would buy the general nylon slide caliper and the longest digital
slide caliper you can afford.  Add a General 0-1" micrometer when the
budget allows.  Starret makes nice but very expensive stuff.
--
Dana Emery