From: "Michael Thames" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Martyn Hodgson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Lute Net"
<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Lute builder Net" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:47 PM
Subject: Re: Built-in action? Double frets

> Martyn,
>   Every lute, that has a reasonable close up on this page appears to me to
have single frets.  Especially, if one uses Dowland's recipe for diameters,
in which case, the first two  frets on these lutes would be 1.6mm wide and
that's not compensating for the .20 or so gap between them. This means that
the frets would have to appear twice as wide as the 4th courses on these
lutes. This doesn't gel with the string courses that are on most of these
lutes.
>      On the other hand please show me a painting that clearly shows double
frets. So we then can compare the differences in appearance.
>    I'm sure your familiar with this site.........
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~amarin/Page1.html
> Michael Thames
> www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com

which has been well discussed before and suggest you look at the archives.

>   However, I will say that most paintings do not show sufficient detail in
to readily distinguish whether a fret is a double loop or single; it was as
much as many could do to mark a fret at all. Much the same bedivils those
trying to research string make up and thicknesses from paintings to estimate
historic tensions.  However, there are a few pictures with sufficient
photographic accuracy  (eg Holbien) and these show double loops.  I'd be
grateful if you could let me know which paintings having this sort of
requisite photgraphic accuracy clearly show a single loop.

>   Regarding intonation, as explained, it is the higher (that is higher up
the fingerboard towards the bridge) of the two loops which sets the pitch;
the lower loop very soon beds in as described earlier.  In short, there is
no persistent 'twin peaks' phenomenon.............

>   If you haven't tried a double loop, I seriously urge you to do so -
you'll be pleasantly surpised.

>   regards,
>
>   Martyn Hodgson
>

>   Michael Thames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     >Martyn wrote,
>     >The historical evidence is that double fret loops were >generally
used; always excepting the eccentric Thos Mace >(he of the Lute Dyphone - a
combined theorboe and lute >in one instrument and advocat of frequent
do-it-yourself >lute repairs: 'A Lute Belly often in need to be taken off'
>'once in a year or two') who, whilst advocating single loop >frets, when it
comes down to it describes the tying of a >double loop

>          Martyn,
>                  In the lute iconography, I don't recall ever seeing
double frets, not to say they haven't existed, just to say that I haven't
seen any that I can recall. That being said I'm curious to go through the
iconography and look specify for this. If this was as popular as you say,
one would have expected to see more, and come to think about it I not seen
one modern lute with these either.
>            I've seen allot of paintings of historical lutes, and think it
probably safe to sat 99% of what I've seen are single frets.

>           The only possible way that double frets could work is if the
fret closest to the nut was slightly lower than the other, allowing the
string to make contact with the crest of the higher fret. Otherwise you have
big intonation problems.

>        As a guitarmaker, I go through great lengths to crown a metal fret
exactly at the correct point, this is very important.  The string should
only come it contact with the crest of the fret.  Any difference to this is
a personal choice as to how much tolerance one has for out of tunness.

>     Michael Thames
>     www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com

can read these in the archives.

>       Re. concern about buzzing: - in practice, a double fret beds in very
soon and has a real advantage in that the loop nearest to the finger takes
most of the heavy wear allowing the other loop to retain a good cut-off
profile.

>       rgds
>
>       Martyn Hodgson
>
>       Michael Thames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         >Jon wrote,
>         > I see >the comment from
>         >Michael as to Dowland's suggestion of two gut frets, and >that it
makes no
>         >sense. Again I speak as a beginner, but I can picture a >value to
a wider
>         >fret (two gut frets wouldn't be higher, only wider, unless >they
were wound
>         >together
>
>         Jon the problem isn't the wildness of the fret, but where the
string
>         makes contact. If you have two frets next to each other, and you
press the
>         string down HARD, it will only hit the fret nearest to the nut and
the
>         second fret will cause it to buzz or sound dull.
>         If you press the string with less pressure it will only ride off
the
>         front fret. This variation is a mm or so for each fret, and will
cause huge
>         intonation problems on a lute with a string length of 600mm which
at that
>         point can't tolerate any inaccuracy.
>         Michael Thames
>         www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com

(This is
>         pure
>         > speculation, I thought of it as I typed). And carrying that
further the
>         > "action"/pressure is influenced by the distance between frets
(try playing
>         > little charango tuned to high tension). Perhaps a wider fret
would allow
>         > playing nearer the center of the fret spacing for an easier
action.
>         >
>         > Again, all speculation. But with the knowledge that the factors
("tilt" of
>         > the neck, thickness of the frets, "angle of the dangle" between
bridge and
>         > nut) all interact.
>         >
>         > Best, Jon
>         >
Actually, on
>         > > > >>some lutes the neck tilts back a fraction. That brings the
line of
>         > > > >>the strings closer to parallel with the neck to make the
action more
>         > > > >>even from the top of the neck to the bottom without
placing the
>         > > > >>strings too close to the soundboard at the bridge. And, as
Gernot
>         > > > >>points out, the strings can be of quite different
diameters, with
>         gut
>         > > > >>bass strings being quite fat. That requires the luthier to
either
>         > > > >>cant the neck towards the bass side, tilt the bridge
towards the
>         > > > >>treble, or both. I've just finished fussing with a lute I
built in
>         > > > >>which the action was wrong and required remedial work. It
was quite
>         > > > >>a learning experience, and I have much greater app
>         > > > >>
>         > > > >>
>         > > > >
>         > > > >It's always boggled my mind how luthers can get it right.
I'd like to