> I've built both harps and guitars and it seems less >important what the
back and sides are made of versus >how they are made;( ....within
reason....I wouldn't make >guitar sides of delrin or concrete!)
>I.e. that they are of the right thickness to resonate and still >be strong
enough to support to the soundboard seems the >real key.

>Chad

   Chad, I second that emotion.  Each wood contributes to the tone in one
way or another.  But who can really say one is better than the other.  Maple
makes great guitars and lutes, as does ebony or rosewood.
     Lacote, thought so little of the effect of the back and sides that he
just used pine, with a veneer over it.
   Fleta, actually made his own plywood from rosewood and spruce, for the
back, and sides, and used this on what he called his "international models",
to prevent cracking of the back.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com