>"Michael Thames" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>>>  You cannot see the direction of a voice's movements in >tablature,
>>>  whereas in staff notation you can. Tablature proves >nothing as for
>  >> harmony and counterpoint. Agreed?

In principle, I don't see much difference between notation or tab for
seeing harmony or counterpoint. It is just a question of what you are
used to. One represents a tone by a note on a staff and the other by
a cipher, but they are both representations. Yes, I've used notation
longer so it is a bit easier for me to discern voice movement and
harmony in notation, but there is not so much difference in tracking
a voice through tab than in notation. It is almost as easy to see the
movement. You have to use your ear in either case. Notation has the
disadvantage that it is not neutral. That is, you will probably be
influenced by how the editor chooses to voice something. If it is
Arthur Ness, I know he's thought about it deeply and understands the
music, still there might be the odd spot where I might have a
different interpretation. Listening for the voice leading becomes
part of the fun. I'm sure someone who grew up playing tab from day
one, would have no trouble following it. The fact that there are
examples of harmonic progressions and voice leading in old
manuscripts in tab shows that at least some players learned it in tab.
cheers,
--
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan