At 12:23 PM 7/6/2005, Markus Lutz wrote:
>I would even assume, that the lute in the vivaldi concerts should play
>also the bass parts.

I agree.  I believe Vivaldi was only sketching a solo line in violinist's
shorthand and expected competent lutenists to do the rest.

>P.S.: BTW - some of the Vivaldi lute concerts belong to the Dresden
>concerts as far as I know - I don't know any famous mandolino player at
>that time ;-).

There seems to be precious few mentions of mandolin virtuosi in that era,
but Tyler and Sparks claim there are more gut-strung, fixed-bridge,
fourth-tuned mandolini in collections than proper lute kin.  While I
haven't endeavored to quantify the claim, I believe it based upon limited
personal experience.  Interestingly, Johann Adolf Hasse was also employed
at Dresden and wrote a rather well-known concerto for mandolino.

Best,
Eugene