I am reminded of an old joke. The searcher for truth is in search of the
ultimate guru. He travels to India and Napal, he works his way through the
villages, climbing ever higher into the Himalayas. He follows every lead in
his search. After years of trekking, and always uphill, he finally comes to
the place he is being guided to. There is a mystic in a cave, a great
ascetic who contemplates everything. "Oh ultimate guru, tell me the meaning
of life". "Life is a fountain, my son". "Damn it to hell, I climb every
mountain, I seek through the villages, I spend years looking for the
ultimate guru to tell me the meaning of life - and all you can say is Life
is a fountain". The guru says "isn't it?".

I work my butt off and wear down my fingers and now you tell me that Dowland
liked thumb over?. Ah so, like the guru, whose disappointment had to be
greater than the seeker's - after all he had devoted a life to the principle
that "life is a fountain", and a life on a mountain top, whereas the seeker
had only wasted a few years - I wonder at any absolute. O'Carolan was the
definitive Irish harpist of the 18th C., he was blind (as were many early
harpists, a good job for the blind who couldn't bring in the harvest). What
if there were a fine lutenist without a thumb? Would he be able to play the
songs of the time with the other four fingers, I think he would have found a
way. Not the same sound exactly, but he might have started a "four finger"
school of the lute, were he skilled enough. And we might all be playing
without using the thumb if the cognoscenti of his time decided that his
technique was best.

Oh tempore, oh mores - and who was the Paris Hilton of the renaissance?
(Pompadour might have a claim to her time).

Best, Jon