From: Stuart LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Sent: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:50:50 -0500
Subject: cautionary tale (was RE: Byrd)

A wino gets kicked out of a bar because he did not behave properly. He
hangs
around the bar for months and months, hoping that someday, someone will
apologize to him and invite him to patronize the bar again. He admits
that he
failed to behave properly, even after he had been warned, but he thinks
he
should be readmitted because of his feeling that those who kicked him
out were
not very courteous. However, he tells everybody who will listen that the
employees and management and the general atmosphere of the bar are
terrible and
that smart customers should go to a nearby bar that is smaller and much
more
relaxed and friendly. He also tells everybody who will listen that he
is still
hanging around the terrible bar because he wants to help improve the
policies
and management of the bar and he wants to warn and help protect new
patrons who
may not realize what a terrible bar it really is.

The poor wino correctly realizes that if he is regarded as just another
noisy
human derelict, few will listen to him and even fewer will be willing
to support
his sad crusade. So, he spends much of his time trying to convince
others that
he is very reasonable, very talented, very well educated and very
respectable.
But nevertheless, many of those who had briefly listened to him soon
become
annoyed and bored by his twisted logic and his endless, whining
complaints. He
easily gets into numerous arguments and fights with some of the
employees and
patrons of the bar. Of course, he always blames the others for starting
the
arguments and fights.

After several months, the wino announces that he will not ever go back
into the
terrible bar again, even if the bar management announces a very
generous general
amnesty and promises him free drinks and free snacks for life. Then,
when he is
questioned about why he still hangs around the bar after making this
announcement, he becomes frantic as he searches for some kind of
plausible
answer. He kicks himself for making it so easy for his critics to
attack the
fragile logic that forms the very foundation of his sad crusade. After
many
hours of frustration, he finally decides that publicly attacking one of
his
critics with very vulgar language is the only way he can respond.

But, after doing so, he sobers up a little and sadly realizes that his
vulgar
language will probably cause more and more observers to begin regarding
him as
just another noisy human derelict.

After several more months, the poor wino grows tired of all of the
stupid people
who will not listen to his arguments or support his crusade and all of
his
ignorant critics who always seem to push the appropriate buttons. He
thinks more
and more about a grand slam triple whammy that he could easily
accomplish
without any assistance from anyone. With just one bold, but simple
stroke, he
could punish all of them by moving to a far away city and not ever
communicating
with any of them again. Then, the stupid fools would no longer have the
benefit
of his wisdom, his ignorant critics would not have him to kick around
any more
and he would have an opportunity to get a new life and live happily
ever after.
He would also have time to start playing lute again, because he would
no longer
need to use all of his spare time to write articles for lutenet. HAPPY
DAYS
would be back again ! He shakes his head and wonders why he did not
think of
this simple solution much sooner. But typically, like many poor winos
before
him, he can not decide about which city he should move to or the best
time for
him to move...

(adapted from http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/essay/whino.html)