Dear Stewart,

The Spagna by Francesco is a different animal from most spagnas that I
have seen.  A. Ness found it in two mss.: The Cavalcanti which dates
from, I believe, the 2nd half of the 16th century and a Florence ms. of
unstated date which lacks the supporting lute part. Whether the latter
had been played w/ the original tenor or the "filled-out" tenor is
uncertain but there are many other characteristics that set it apart
from previous Spagnas.

In Otto Gombosi's study of the Capirola he offers two more spagnas and
each of these abound in ficta, variety of tempos (slow sections  beside
bursts of speed), division into 3 (and 5!) and single line 2nd parts.
These mirror other contrapunti that show up in various late 15th cent.
mss. on other tenors from songs, mass movements and motets. Beside
these Francesco's Spagna seems downright Victorian --and would never
frighten any horses.

There are many contrapunti in the Cavalcanti, mostly divisions over
chord progressions and, taken as a whole they may have been offered as
didactic material. It is also the unique source for FdM's Canon as
well.

What I'm getting at is that this spagna was written for a very
different audience than those of the previous century and was probably
seen as an antique fashion but useful for learning an art of
contrapunti. Certainly w/ the filled out "chords" there is no need of a
plectrum whereas the earlier tenor/contra style would have a very
striking dual line texture.

Sean