Howard,

You have a point here, but if the point is that there is not a difference in
the difficulty of a sound on different wind instruments then you are wrong.

When I lost that best of instruments (due to age, cigareets, whuskey - and
the wild, wild wimmen probably had nothing to do with it - but they were
fun), lost the voice, I took to the penny whistle. (And there may be some on
the lute list, and harp lists, that wish I'd stuck to it).

No one can accuse the penny whistle of being complex - there is no
"embouchere" to produce the sound, just blow. But yet there is a difference
between instruments as to pitch shift. I have a collection of whistles, some
cheap and some expensive. As I'm sure you know the whistle is basically a
two octave instrument (can go more with skill) that changes octaves on the
"overblow". I have whistles, of the same basic pitch, that have a subtle
octave break, but need a contining addition of wind to continue in the upper
octave - and I have others that need a real push to jump from C to D (most
whistles are D scale based), but then nothing additional to go to the top of
the upper D scale.

The same must apply to trumpets and cornetti, and the horns. I've not played
them, but have to feel that the overall construction and pitching of the
horn may not define it's particular comfortable pitch level. I believe
Daniel is correct, although in the whistle of my experience the breath
control is the defining factor, while in the trumpet/horn group the
embouchere comes in.

Best. Jon