Dear lutenists,

there is music for "gallichon" by Brescianello
  Oeuvres pour Gallichon
(http://luth-librairie.ifrance.com/brescianello.pdf)
that Richard Civiol has edited and gives to us all in his wonderful
pages http://luth-librairie.ifrance.com/
is quite interesting, indeed. And big thanks to Richard!

The music is quite good, in many places very good. To me it sounds
nearly classical in style.

I do not know much about Brescianello and even less of gallichon. The
instrument had 6 courses (or perhaps single strings?). Tuned in guitar
tuning.

But what does our collected wisdom know about the instrument? Why in the
very late baroque there was a revival of a 6 course lute? To whom was
it meant to be played? Who composed for the instrument? Was is used
also in continuo? Where, geographically, was it played? Where,
socially, was it played: in taverns, in churches, ...? Are there many
intsruments in the museums? Has any luthier studied original
instruments? How similiar the structure is when compared to 16th
century lutes? What kind of strings did they use? Any original schools
for the instrument? Any writings at all of the gallichon?

All the best

Arto