As to sarabands: Are there other factors in deciding whether a given
piece is meant to be fast or slow?

I know of one saraband which I was taught as fast, but which I only
had known as slow (simple historical error?) if at all: the saraband
in Matthew Locke's "Five-part Thinges for the Cornetts" (better known
as "Musick for His Majesty's Sackbutts and Cornetts."

At 11:54 AM 8/13/2005, Howard Posner wrote:
>Stewart McCoy wrote:
>
> > It has often been observed that the addition of extra notes by
> > musicians, or extra steps by dancers, has the effect of slowing
> > music down over the years. The saraband started life as a fast,
> > lively dance, and ended up as a very slow one.
>
>Wouldn't the reverse be just as likely: that slower tempo leads to more
>notes?
>There are other, more intuitive causes for dances to slow down over a
>long period.
>For example, the people who dance it get older.  Or the dance moves up
>the social ladder,
>to be danced by people in more elaborate clothing.
>
>HP
>

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

www3.sympatico.ca/echapin