Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:25:31 +0100 (BST)
From: Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: John Wilson Preludes
To: LGS-Europe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lute Net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>

I'm interested that you refer to the instrument as a lute (as does Spring)
whereas I had always supposed it was written for the theorbo with only the
first course an octave down from normal. This from internal evidence of the
tablatures (including the song accompaniements) which show a marked aversion to
using the first course.

rgds

MH

LGS-Europe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To those of you who have expressed an interest in The John Wilson
> Preludes that I have started posting on I am

Why go through all this trouble when there's a beautiful edition available?
Diapason press (DP49, Utrecht) has an edition which includes the small but
readable facsimile as well as a modern transcription, excellently done by
Matthew Spring.
And on a more general note, whithout wanting to demean anyone's efforts, why
do many people on the net spend hours of typing in music that is readily
availble in good editions, facsimile and modern, while there is still music
waiting to be published that is left untouched by them?

David

David van Ooijen
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Http://home.planet.nl/~d.v.ooijen/