Fossum, Arthur wrote:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:26:35 -0700

>I thought Arthur Ness was trolling for you when he brought up the Grand
>Staff and Piano notation thread...

Of course he was. Must have pissed him off that the very paper I read
at the Colloque de Luth en Occident in 1998, one event he decided to
skip because I was invited, now appeared in a major lute journal.
Among others, he confided that he "was asked to answer Matanya", as
if I asked a question. And the funniest was his silly attempt to drag
Weiss and Bach into the story, when these were not transcriptions. Of
course, I already pointed out his hypocritical accusations that "some
guitarists" call grand staff notation as Keyboard, where in point of
fact it was he, Arthur J. Ness, who so labeled the keyboard fascicles
of our MoLA series.

>Further confirmed by Leonhard Shulz...
>
>Confirmed by Madame Robert Sidney Pratten.

You forgot the phoney story of the Berlioz' purported quotation. In a
nutshell, someone, whose name Arthur does not remember, in a
conference Arthur does not remember when and where it took place,
told him about a dissertation, which Arthur had never seen, which
alleges that Berlioz said in a Journal de Debats article that the
guitar is a small orchestra.

I did see the dissertation in question. All it did is refer the
reader to a book by Jacques Barzun, where there are two minute
footnotes referring to the Berlioz article, which Barzun himself had
never seen. All he had was translations into German of these articles
made by Dr. Joseph Zuth. I got copies of these translations from
Columbia University where barzun papers are kept and there is nothing
in them about the guitar being a small orchestra. IOW, no one had
seen the original Berlioz article and can quote it precisely. That
has not stopped this patriarch-scholar of the lute list to spouting
off utter sophomoric nonsense as if it was the truth.

My problem is that I am not a lute scholar, but I do know a thing or
two about the guitar and its history. So if members of this want to
accept Arthur's pronouncements on lute issues as the Gospel, they are
welcome to them, though on occasion, like the phoney story of the
survival of the Chilesotti manuscript, I felt obliged to step in. The
story was declared phoney by Stefano Toffolo, the leading Chilesotti
scholar, and so confirmed by both Dinko Fabris and the Comandante
Bussandri, the owner of the Chilesotti museum in Bassano di Grappa.
Would that convince Arthur to either tell lutenists how he knows what
he alleges to know about this, or to admit that he did not really
know what he was talking about?

Would never happen. Either way.

>Cant we let sleeping dogs lie?

This particular dog does not sleep. Arthur cannot forgive me for the
fact that in spite of his resignation from the MoLA series in 1993,
12 years ago taking with him both the second edition of the Francesco
and the Marco dall'Aquila book, I did publish 3 volumes in the series
without his help, and the Series did not instantly crumble. The sad
part of all this, is that not only did Arthur shoot himself in the
foot under some stupid pretensions, but that the Francesco and Marco
projects have thus been condemned to oblivion.

>Anyone want to discuss my old musicology professor's transcription of El
>Maestro? ( Charles Jacobs)

Now you did it! Charles Jacobs was Arthur's main nemesis and by
admitting some connection to him, you instantly placed yourself in
Arthur's sights. May be now he will lay off of me....

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226