About those Wilson pieces. The LSA has just gotten a review copy of the new
Paul O'Dette & Ellen Hargis CD "The Power of Love" - see the ad for this in
the last LSA Quarterly. This CD is a combination of songs and
instrumentals, some by WIlson and other by his contemporaries. It contains
Wilson Fantasies Nos. 21, 26, 1, 30,10, 25. Paul plays a 14-course theorbo,
a 14-course archlute and an 8 course lute on the CD.  It's not marked which
instrument he plays on which music.

Nancy Carlin

>It needs to be in a monospaced font at both ends.  It's not coming
>through that way.  If you typed it in a monospaced font, your first try
>(before you started "correcting" it) will work at the receiving end if
>it's copied into a word processor and put into a monospaced font.  I
>didn't try this myself, because I have the Ms and in any event already
>understood your point.  Except for a handful of exceptional passages,
>the Wilson pieces look like theorbo pieces.  You're right in saying
>that the example I gave is contrapuntally explicable in theorbo tuning,
>but I find it odd musically that a dramatically rising phrase would
>just peter out.  Maybe it's just me.
>
>Whether the example that so frustrated you is evidence one way or
>another depends on whether you think it's an example of voice leading
>or just a chord chart.  I should point out here for the benefit of the
>list that there are no explanations in the solo lute/theorbo part of
>this manuscript. Also no titles of the pieces.  Indeed, no words at
>all.  I might also point out a bit belatedly to the list, since it may
>not be obvious to everyone, that we're talking about whether the first
>course is at regular lute pitch or down an octave.
>
>Most of the 24 Wilson pieces can be played on either instrument because
>the first course isn't used at all.  I've often wondered why this is so
>typical, not only in Wilson's solo pieces, but in English tablature
>accompaniments from about 1630 on.  Surely having the first course down
>an octave is not a reason to avoid it completely.  One explanation that
>makes sense to me, though I'm aware of no evidence for it, is that
>renaissance tuning remained common in both lute stringing and theorbo,
>and simply omitting it from the tablature allowed it to played in
>either.  The player could decide how to use the first course.  The
>theory is not without holes, but I will leave it other to point them
>out, and get back to work.
>

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Nancy Carlin Associates
P.O. Box 6499
Concord, CA 94524  USA
phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
web site - www.nancycarlinassociates.com

Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
web site - http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org