Dear Sean,

> I'm not sure I've seen references below to the earlier edition of Il
> Fronimo (I'm sorry I don't know the publ date --my HMBrown resides at
> the library ;^). It has different musical examples, eg, the Ancor che
> col partire and its fantasy aren't in the 1584 ed. Are there other
> contrapunti in it as well as the BM works? This has been very
> difficult to find!

In the LSA page
  http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/associated/Galilei/
they have lots of information of Il Fronimo! There is for ex. a
spreadsheet

"For a clearer presentation of the concordances among the two
publications of Fronimo and the various secondary sources, we provide a
cross-index in the form of an Excel spreadsheet. (49.5 KB)"

 http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/associated/Galilei/MusicIndex.xls

It lists and compares the pieces in the 1568 and 1584 versions of Il
Fronimo. There you can find that  "Ancor che col partir" is on page 66
of the 1568 edition (the Fantasia on "Ancoe" is on page 94).  And there
are many pieces that are only in one of the editions.

best,

Arto