Hi all,
Personally, I have never been totally happy with the Windows
environment, but I feel stuck with it because of 10 years of
development... For one thing the data files are not exportable to any
other platforms. So the hard work of transcribing music may be easily
lost, and the number one rule of computing is: Never do it twice.
I do most of my real work on a UNIX platform, and I develop Django on
Windows because I still don't think that the graphical environment in
UNIX/LINUX is sufficiently developed. The best solution in my opinion
would be to develop an XML language for tablature that can be
interpreted in Java with an Internet browser as the interface to the
user. This would ensure the persistence of files and provide an O.S.
independent interface. This is however a huge project which I don't
think a single person can undertake with any chance of success (that's a
personal opinion).
I think there is a Windows emulator for LINUX - equivalent to the Mac's
Windows emulator, that allows people to run Windows programs - how
advanced is this?
Alain