Dear Stephen,

Many thanks indeed for your message and your kind comments. You ask
about playing parallel 10ths in high positions. The same principles
apply, depending on context, with a choice between the three
fingering patterns I described in my previous message. (I shall use
the word "pattern" rather than "position" to avoid ambiguity.) To
re-cap, the three patterns were as follows:

1) Covering four frets; one finger per fret:

__________________a__1c__3e__4f__
______a__1c__2d__________________
__2d_____________________________
_________________________________
_________________________________
_________________________________

2) Covering three frets; 3rd & 4th fingers at one fret:

__4d________________________
___a__||_________||__4d__||_
__1b__||_1b__4d__||__3d__||_
______||_2c______||______||_
______||_3d______||______||_
__3d__||_________||__1b__||_

3) Covering two frets; 1st & 2nd fingers also at one fret:

___a________________________________
______4d_||__2c__4d___||__4d__2c_||_
__1c_____||__3d_______||__3d_____||_
__2c_____||__1c_______||_________||_
_________||___a_______||_________||_
_________||___________||__1c_____||_

Bearing this in mind, let's look at parallel 10ths. The
one-finger-per-fret pattern won't apply, because that is more
suitable for single-line melodies. Choosing between the other two
patterns is determined by the number of frets to be covered. If a
passage of parallel 10ths covers three frets, you use the second of
my patterns:

______________     _____________
___a__1b__4d__     __1b__+__4d__
______________     _____________
______________  =  _____________
_______a__2c__     __2c_________
__3d__________     __3d_________

If only two frets are to be covered, you use the third of those
patterns:

______________     _____________
___a__2c__4d__     __2c__+__4d__
______________  =  _____________
______________     _____________
_______a__1c__     ______+__1c__
__3d__________     __3d_________

Using those two patterns will take care of most of the parallel
10ths in low positions. Here the two patterns are combined:

_______________a__2c__4d_____
___a__1b__4d______________||_
__________________________||_
___________________a__1c__||_
_______a__2c__3d__________||_
__3d______________________||_

The essential difference between those two patterns, is whether you
use the 1st or 2nd finger with the 4th finger (chords 3 and 6 of the
previous example). The choice of pattern is determined by the
context. If you have just used your 1st finger (chord 2), you use
your 2nd finger with the 4th finger (chord 3); if you've just used
your 2nd finger (chord 5), you'll use your 1st finger next (chord
6).

The same principles apply in higher positions. If the chord covers
three frets, you will normally opt for my second pattern:

__4h__
______
______
__1f__
______
______

If the chord covers only two frets, you have a choice between the
two patterns, depending on the context:

__4f___      __4f__
_______      ______
_______  or  ______
__2e___      __1e__
_______      ______
_______      ______

If the parallel 10ths change position along the neck, it is
generally wise for one finger (usually the 4th finger) to keep
contact with a string (touching, but not pressing down), as it moves
from one chord to the next.

__4d__4f__4h__4i___
___________________
___________________
__1c__2e__1f__2h___
___________________
___________________

I imagine these four chords continuing from the previous passage of
parallel 10ths, so I start with the 1st finger with the 4th. Notice
how the 4th finger stays in contact with the 1st course, while the
other two fingers alternate, sharing out the work between them.

Having a choice between the two patterns may cause problems. In the
previous example it would be possible to use the 1st and 4th fingers
throughout. Although this would have the advantage of keeping the
same fingers (1st and 4th) on the same strings throughout, I think
it would be unwise, because it would mean two extra changes of
pattern, increasing the risk of a mistake.

A good example of all this in practice comes in Capirola's Recerchar
Primo:

  |\  |\   |\                   |\      |\  |\
  |   |\   |                    |\      |   |\
  |.  |    |                    |       |.  |
_______________a___2c__4d______2c__a________a___
__a__1b_|_4d_____|________|_a________|_4d_____|_
_1b_____|________|________|__________|________|_
________|________|__a__1c_|_____a____|________|_
______a_|_2c__3d_|________|_______3d_|_1c__3d_|_
_3d_____|________|________|__________|________|_

Pattern 2 ------- Ptn 3 ----------------------

  |\                  |\      |\         |\
  |                   |\      |          |\
  |                   |       |          |
_2c__4d___4f__4h_____4f_4d___2c__4d_____2c__a___
________|________|_________|________|_________|_
________|________|_________|________|_________|_
__a__1c_|_2e__1f_|___2e_1c_|__a__1c_|____a____|_
________|________|_________|________|______3d_|_
________|________|_a_______|________|_a_______|_

Ptn 3 -- Ptn 2 -------- Ptn 3 ------

I would resist the temptation to use the 1st finger for e on the 4th
course. That would be fine moving from bars 6 to 7 (keeping the
fingers and the pattern the same), but it would be too risky moving
to and from the chord with h on the 1st course (keeping the fingers
the same, but changing the pattern).

One last point: hold the 2nd finger at the 2nd fret of the 1st
course from the beginning of bar 3 right up to the last chord of bar
4. The same happens in the last two bars.

Best wishes,

Stewart.

PS To Mathias Rösel (I hope you're still with us), and to Martin
Shepherd: thank you both for your contributions to this thread. I
totally agree with Martin's extra thoughts about left-hand
fingering, which (if I remember right) concur with something Mathias
wrote some time ago.