Von: Stewart McCoy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Montag, 29. August 2005 20:22
An: Lute Net
Betreff: [LUTE] Melchior Neusidler

Dear David,

Arcadelt's "Quando io Penso al martire" is No. 22 in _Il Quarto
Libro di Madrigali d'Archadelt_ (Venice: Gardane, 1539).
Unfortunately I don't have the 4-part score to hand, but I do have
an intabulation by Bakfark in the same key. I have compared the
first 20 bars of the Newsidler and Bakfark versions one above the
other in Fronimo, and although the divisions are different, they
seem to track (more or less) what I imagine the chanson to be. It's
not an ideal way of doing it, but the best I can manage for now.
Funnily enough, the two versions almost make a tolerable duet,
because the one tends to have divisions when the other doesn't.

The only mistake I can find so far, is the second rhythm sign of the
piece. It should be a dotted crotchet, not a quaver. Perhaps the
type-setter read the dot as an extra tail on the flag.

Otherwise, you have to be sure you are reading the letters
correctly. There is a lack of consistency in the appearance of the
cyphers, which adds an extra level of difficulty. Knowing from
another source what they should be, can help reading what they are
in Newsidler's setting.

I'd be interested to compare the two intabulations more, but to save
time, please could you say exactly where you think the mistakes are.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.