Dear Emilio,

I'm playing Continuo on a liuto attiorbato and am happy with it. You have a
different tone than ona n archlute or theorbo but are able to play good
continuo. Volume is no problem (at least with my instrument).
In a smaller ensemble there is no problem playing continuo on such an
instrument. In large ensembles I think a theorbo would be appropriate though.

Regarding advantages/disadvantages I assume it's a matter of taste.

Best wishes
Thomas

Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 05:41 schrieben Sie:
> Dear Continuo players,
>
> I have some questions about the relative merits of archlutes and theorbos.
> I am aware of the fact that each instrument has its own repertoire (either
> because it is specifically mentioned in books as a continuo instrument, or
> because the nature or complexity of the bass line suggests the use of one
> instrument over another), and that in many cases either can be used for
> 17thC and 18thC continuo. My questions are perhaps more pragmatic,
> especially from the point of view of learning continuo for the first time
> in an amateur context:
>
> 1. If one is already familiar with renaissance lute tuning, is it
> correspondingly easier to learn continuo on the archlute? 2. Are the chord
> shapes required for continuo on archlute similar to those one would
> encounter in playing solo renaissance lute? 3. In smaller ensembles, would
> there be significant tonal differences between playing continuo on a
> smaller theorbo and playing on an extended archlute? 4. If anyone on the
> list plays continuo on a liuto attiorbato, would you advise as to the
> advantages and disadvantages (e.g. is there sufficient volume).
>
> Any advice would be welcome.
>
> Emilio

Thomas Schall
Niederhofheimer Weg 3