saw 192837 wrote:

> Have you ever played the mediaeval lute?
>
> Is it really plucked with a plectrum and not the fingers?
>
> Or do people use fingers as well?
>
> Are they all 5 courses (or supposed to be?)
>
> What kind of repetoire exists?

For some information on what is known/theorized see
Coelho, Victor Anand, "An invitation to the fifteenth-century plectrum
lute: the Pesaro Manuscript," in Coelho, ed. _Performance on Lute,
Guitar, and Vihuela: Historical Practice and Modern Interpretation_,
Caambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005

--
Stephen Fryer
Lund Computer Services