Depending on what kind of string you choose for the deep basses, unwanted
sympathetic resonance may or may not be so much a problem.  Overwound
strings might tend to vibrate more insistently than loaded gut.  (I notice
it sometimes on my baroque lute on which I'm using wound basses, but not on
my 10 course, which has gut bass strings.)

On the other hand the wound strings can be substantially cheaper.

In any case it is easier to play 6 course music on a 10 course instrument
than to play 10 course music on a smaller instrument, though an 8 course
instrument is, as they say, a good workable compromise.

In the end I think the quality of the instrument will matter more than the
number of strings.

-Carl Donsbach

--On Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:29 AM -0400 Miles Dempster