Many individual issues in this longstanding debate.

I do agree that for the professional, money should not be the over-riding
issue. Otherwise why not just buy a Pakistani "lute" on ebay because it is
cheaper than an Andy Rutherford or Grant Tomlinson for several thousand more?
There is still a practical issue of live performance vs recording. An
"authentic" sounding gut strung lute in a centraly heated concert hall that
goes out of tune every 10 bars, while possibly quite HIP, is no fun to listen
to.

Unlike some on this list, I am not a physicist or physical chemist and cannot
comment on the physical properties of currently manufactured gut strings. It
was my impression from conversations with professionals however that we still
truly don't know the composition and tensile strength of gut strings in the Ren
and Baroque times and therefore don't know the sound they achieved. Our current
gut attempts may be as anachronistic as nylon.

Ultimately, the reason we play the lute and not lute music on another
instrument (like classical guitar) is for the sound. But a HIP sound includes
more variables than string composition; there is interpretation, style,
consistent tone production, clever improvisation and ornamentation, etc. There
are gut players, professional and amatuer, that in my opinion have horrible
sound and uninteresting interpretations. I will take any recording by POD or
Hoppy done on synthetics over these other performers in a second.

DS

PS. And I DO like Coke (diet, not that Coca Cola light crap they peddle in
Europe) and breast implants are OK in my book (are artifical hip implants HIP?)