--On Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:39 AM +0100 Ron Fletcher
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is mainly because synthetic strings have become available that more
> people can take up the lute!
>
> If we had to rely solely on gut-strings, many would give up in
> exasperation at their short life and their high-price to keep a lute
> playable.
>
> We must be grateful to the professionals who use gut for performances.
> But, it does make economic sense to use synthetic strings for durability
> the rest of the time.

However, consider that if gut were all that were available, there would be
more and larger manufactors.  Think of all the guitar string makers that
are putting out nothing but nylon - they'd be making gut strings instead,
looking for ways to improve them and make them cheaper... quality and
durability would go up and the prices would go down.  It probably wouldn't
be so bad.

> Whether we use Nylon, Nylgut or Carbon, we don't wish to be mocked for
> that. Each to his/her own and the pleasure we derive from such strings.

Well said!

-Carl Donsbach