Well, Wayne, they might not be historic, but the ones I use are as
historically informed as it gets. Talk to Nick Baldock. Years ago I used to
engage him, Kuerschner, Larson, Seegerman and others in lengthy discussions
about the subject and I am in awe of their commitment to solve as many
problems as possible. People have done a lot of research and many
preoccupations (like those you have summarized) have been corrected. As you
said, there were good and bad strings in the past, but the good strings were
defined as true. We can aim at that goal. Good old Chinese silk strings made
without modern tools are amazingly true, it just takes more time and skill
and is still more expensive. Like with ceramics, they probably discharged
70% of the production as unsatisfactory. Historic gut strings were also
ground and polished with stone and other abrasives. They still had, as you
described, to throw out unsatisfactory strings. We know what they were after
and can head in the same direction. People like Larson have recreated
historic manufacturing processes to a degree that borders on experimental
archaeology. With stunning results. If less modern lutanist were converted
guitarists used to the sound of plastic strings and wire and/or too thrifty
to spend money on their equipment, or insisting to play lute with wet finger
tips or in the shower, string makers could sell more gut strings and the
prices would drop.
People spent even more money on gut strings "in the old days" than we do
today; still, I agree, we are still far from having unveiled all the secrets
of ancient string making, especially as far as basses are concerned.
Peruffo's loaded ones work fine (listen to Lindberg's Dowland), but you have
to throw out many and they take very long to settle (at least the ones I
ordered some years ago; meanwhile they have settled and make rather
acceptable basses on my 8c). That renders them a very awkward solution. With
gimped strings I am not quite happy either. Silk didn't work for me (on the
renaissance lutes, I use silk strings on my Timurid lute and the tanbur).
Loaded silk would be a very promising concept, but nobody dares to invest in
such a project, with a dwindling market, as so many "early musicians" are
quite happy with their nylons and just seeking excuses for not going into
more authentic equipment. Seegerman's *no-tension* theory is a bit extreme,
but regular gut strings are certainly too thick at "realistic" tension on an
8c with less then 70cm string stop (they work perfectly on my Maler
6c-basslute (octave-strung) and proved very convincing on at least one of
Barber/Harris' Tieffenbrucker 6c tenors)
Yet I don't see in what way all this could serve as an excuse to use even
less authentic strings? The best gut strings available today might not be
quite as good as the ones Queen Elizabeth I used, but they will have to do
until the real thing comes along... I am not a fanatic like the presidents
of Iran or the US, I just want good strings for my lutes, to spend peaceful
nights listening to subtle sounds removed from the vulgar clamour of modern
life!

Best wishes,
danyel