> Could any of you give some advice about where to buy
> strings, of gut or of nylon? Who makes the best? Who
> gives the best value for money? Any warnings?

You could just contact someone who sells lots of strings
retail and just tell them who you are, your playing level,
and what type/size lute (size is measured from bridge
to nut in centimeters) you have.  I use a man named
Olav Chris Hendrickson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), but probably
a few inquiries or internet searches would turn up
other knowledgeable, diligent, quick, and fair retailers.
For example, I seem to recall seeing a list at the web site
of the American Lute Society.