is there a mathematical relationship between humidity/temperature/frequency and
string diameter that one can use to retune gut strings predictively ,as a
process of successive approximation? for instance, I played in two different
locations on two consecutive nights. The first night was awful and I spent a
good 15 minutes retuning in between pieces, despite having retuned at the start
of the evening when the hall was 'full'. I retuned the strings when I got home
but noted the degree of 'out-of-tuneness in cents' on the meter - for each of
the gut strings. The next night, I reset those gut strings by 50% of the
displacement (approx 10cents) before entering the hall and then checked the
tuning about 30 minutes later. The tuning was almost 'spot - on' and was very
easy to fine-tune. I have only done this on one occasion so I don't know
whether this is reasonable approach or not. BTW, the humidity in this area is
high and didn't change very much. I would be interested to hear how experienced
'gut-players' approach the tuning problem.
regards
Charles