Master new boy,
   Regarding holding the lute,
   What has worked best for me is to use a strap and play standing up. Since my
   lute doesn't have a pin for a strap I took two soft leather trouser belts,
   buckled them together (making an adjustable strap), then put the strap over
   the left shoulder and under the right arm. The leather fits around the lower
   edge of the soundboard (toward the right foot, do this while sitting down
   for safety) and does not slip yet is soft enough not to damage the edge of
   the lute. In my opinion this is a very stable position to play (after a bit
   of  acclimation and experimentation and making). In fact I never sit down to
   play any more (a great bonus for me after sitting down all day at work).
   Best,
   David

   saw 192837 wrote:

The biggest thing is it seems impossible to hold. The thing has no
guitar-like lap thing and just slides around. Do you use a strap? How do you
hold this thing?