----- Original Message -----
From: "LGS-Europe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lute net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 11:01 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Open wound bass strings

> No, I think we (?) are talking aout the demi-filé (thank you, Greet)
> strings
> Mimmo is making. Gut core, very open winding on top of that. Kürschner and
> Larson make a different kind of gut + metal strings. Kürschner half embeds
> the metal within the gut, Larson completely. The feel of each of these
> strings is quite different. From much metal (Perufo), to a bit of metal
> (Kürschner) to no metal (Larson).
>
> David

That's right, open-wound stands for demi-filé (like similar strings in bass
registers of early pianos).

The other type of strings in which the wire is integrated to a greater or
lesser degree into the gut (more by the process of twisting than winding)
are known as " tigerline" or "gimped".

Alexander