Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:49:40
+0000 (GMT)
From: Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: HI cases.
To: David Van Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  David,

  Also quite a few Gallichon/Mandora cases (eg Stautinger in York) which open
at point of greatest width. have ribbed backs etc like early lute cases

  Martyn

David Van Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Dear Herbert,

A number of historical cases survive, at least 14 by my reckoning.
For instance one in Fuessen, one in Munich, one in Edinburgh, one in
Blair Atholl castle, one in Berlin, one in the Bachhaus in Eisenach
etc. etc.

Mostly made like lutes out of thin strips of bent wood then covered
with leather. Some are very fine. All have lids which hinge from the
widest point of the lute and thus open North to South as it were
rather than out west to East. For a few illustrations from paintings
[there are many more] look at the end of this article.

http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/month/jan99/month.htm

Best wishes,

David

--
The Smokehouse,
6 Whitwell Road,

Telephone: + 44 (0)1603 629899
Website: http://www.vanedwards.co.uk

  Yahoo! Model Search - Could you be the next catwalk superstar? Check out the
competition now