----- Original Message -----
From: "EUGENE BRAIG IV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Roger E. Blumberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "bill kilpatrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "LUTELIST"
<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 1:32 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: For Bill -- Small bodied vihuela-viola-guitars come
charango? -- was Re: Bad translation

cool an instrument as any other.  However, trying to impose a name for it on
everybody else of the world, a name with absolutely no precedent in
reference to some speculated conceptual heritage that has had absolutely
nothing to do with the mindset of the players and builders of the instrument
for generations, strikes me as a little silly, a lot disrespectful, and
quite inhibitory to communication with other people familiar with the
vocabulary.

> Eugene

I think we're in bigger trouble when "mindset" becomes the key definer of an
instrument and family. There is no single mindset that could ever define any
musical instrument. Then again, elitism, exclusivity, and snobbery, could be
a "mindset" that's currently part and parcel of the allowed definition of
what vihuela were and are, and even what lutes were and are, for that
matter.

There's all kinds of mindsets that are disrespectful and not representative
of the persons, places, and times, people would like to believe they
currently represent and speak for. What seems silly to me is the notion that
one additional course, the 6th, is the only thing that can make you "a man",
and a "real" vihuela player. The term "vihuela" was in use for hundreds of
years before that 6 course lute-tuned slab-constructed plucker showed up.
The definition even then changed many times and applied to many instruments,
plucked, plectrumed, and bowed, any number of strings, any number of
tunings, many styles of playing. Yet now, today, some people seem to feel
they have the market cornered on the word, and concept, some single
organological definition, configuration, number of decades in one single
century, and now even one "mindset". I think there might be a couple of
historical figures who would question who it is you (the collective) think
you're representing and protecting from disrespectful and inaccurate
representations, who's name you're using in vain. A similar kind of snobbery
exists in people who would define and reserve the word "musician" only for
people who read music. One style, one way, one mindset, one path, for all,
that's the ticket. Fall in line, get with the program.

I have no burning need to call charango a vihuela. I won't loose any sleep
over it one way or the other. Bill has the right to see all the iconography
he wants, and to make whatever connections he believes he sees. We're all
prone to seeing and hearing what we want to see and hear, and we all apply a
different set of filters. And new filters sometimes reveal the darnedest
things, by golly.

New adaptations, change, _is_ respectful of tradition, and does accurately
reflect history. I think all the New World adaptations of original model
vihuela-guitars is admirable, commendable, worthy of respect, and inclusion,
in that big diverse family of ours. Get over yourselves, comes to mind, for
some reason. I do respect what most people are trying to do here, on this
list, generally, whatever kind of historical lute they fancy focusing their
attention on, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13 courses, bowl-back or flat back, 13th,
14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, or 18th century, seven frets or ten, plucked,
plectrumed, or bowed. Right there, that should tell you there is no one way,
no one mind-set, no one configuration or style.

On one hand, vihuelas of any kind seem to be almost an unwelcomed topic
here, grudgingly tolerated, and must be spun-off to a separate and
segregated other group and list. And on the other, some are now feeling the
need to take up the torch in defense of vihuela, or at least of some three
or four decade incarnation of vihuela, an incarnation they might see fit to
recognize as being potentially worthy of their consideration and inclusion,
yet still a "lesser lute", even at 6 courses -- that apparently magical
number where "respect" kicks in, if you're lucky ;').

I'm not looking to make any enemies here, nor insult anyone, nor anyone's
love of trying to recreate more authentic period-bubbles to live in and
explore. I enjoy the exercise myself. The best bubbles, I think, are usually
a little _more_ inclusive, rather than less. That's probably the bottom
line, and the thing that's likely to make me react, i.e. any jacket that's
just a little too tight, and any club that thinks it's a little too
exclusive. Then, I might just be tempted to start playing devils advocate,
just for the sport of it. ;')

Roger