Indeed, although "vihuela" is a rather antiquated equivalent to "viola"; no
modern orchestras refer to their bowed altos as "vihuela."  I don't know
that there are substantial gaps in the application of the term "vihuela" or
its equivalents to various things.  Regarding plucked things, it seems to
me that the term was simply absorbed in reference to guitars with their
burgeoning popularity at the end of the 16th c.  "Viola da terra" still
refers to an instrument remarkably similar to baroque-era 5-course guitars
in modern Portugal.  ...But I'd rather read the input of somebody who
actually may have studied the etymology, Antonio perhaps.

Best,
Eugene