At 06:12 PM 12/6/2005, Roger E. Blumberg wrote:
>I wasn't aware of all the other early references to viheula, nor that the
>word "lira" was ever used to refer to guitar-like instruments. I'd like to
>know more about that later item in particular, if you or someone would.

I don't know if you've explored them yet or not, and this may be a total
sidetrack to the kind of info you're seeking, but you might want to look
into "lyre-guitar", Roger.  If you're registered, a note to
<early-guitar@cs.dartmouth.edu> or <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> might prove
fruitful.  The golden era for calling guitar-like things (that weren't
quite shaped like guitars) names akin to "lyre" was the late classical
era.  Much music of the early 1800s was published for "guitar or
lyre."  Frankly, I find such things a little unwieldy, but not quite as bad
as the mandolyra of the Calace or Turturo shop.

Best,
Eugene