In einer eMail vom 18.12.2005 14:42:09 Westeurop=E4ische Normalzeit schreibt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Also, "authenticity" can be rather mediocre, or amateurish still, which is
> authentic in turn, if you read Burney, but.....
> RT

Many of the qualities that we view as good classical musicianship  are things
that are important to the recording process, it seems that the importance of
recorded performances changed how we think about performing music than the
thickness of soundboards or gut strings.

Listen to recordings from the early part of the last century and many of the
stars of this time maybe sound amateurish. But at the same time this music was
more present in mainstream culture.

best wishes
Mark Wheeler