As a pastor, I sometimes take a lute with me for visits in hospitals,
provided I'm not aware of hostility of the particular person towards
music.

When entering the room, I put the case down at the wall and leave it
shut until it is mentioned by the ill person. Only then shall I offer to
open the case and play. It has become known in my congregation, though,
that I play the lute, which has raised certain expectations >:)

My first experience was total silence in the room after a few measures.
When I looked up, I saw the woman was crying and I immediately started
apologizing, but she wouldn't let me say it and insisted that I went on
playing.

In hospital rooms, there is usually no carpet on the floor. To my own
listening, this has a strongly enhancing and brightening effect on the
sound. You may play as slowly and with a low voice as you will,
everything will be heard.

By now, I prefer to take the baroque lute with some easy Weiss pieces
prepared. Haven't yet found appropiate renaissance lute music. Italian
and German intabulations did work so far, but Weiss did better, as far
as I can tell.
--
All the best,

Mathias