If the 18thC Mandora/Gallichon was the ancestor of the VW 'laute', perhaps
this instrument represents some sort of arch-mandora ancestory?  Against that,
I would have expected single strings (ie more like a 19thC 'Bass' lute).

  Perhaps more likely, but still speculative, the instrument is part of the
early revival of the lute in Germany in the early 20thC - do we know its
provenance? - any links to Giesbert, Bruger et al?

  MH

Roman Turovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  > "Roman Turovsky" schrieb:
>> The bridge position is very WV like...
>
> yes, indeed. Much too close to the rose. On the other hand, if you
> closely look at the pictures at ebay's, you'll discover the spot on the
> soundboard along the chanterelle where players would put their pinkies.
> Which suugests that the instrument has been dealt with as a German
> baroque lute.
Undisputably. Barto played one exactly like this, that 30 years ago.
But the construction was likely to have been influenced by the WV....
RT