Hi there,

well, if I may spend my penny of limited experience... People tend not
to buy a 6 course Renaissance lute until they aren't much more advanced
in the Renaissance repertoire. Beginners and many other players seem to
think that an 8-course instrument will offer a broader repertoire.
After a short time everybody realizes that in fact there is a huge
amount of music written for a 6-course, music that needs to be played on
a 6-course instrument, as it just sounds SO much better on it...
The next step is that the player will look for a 6-course instrument and
sell the 8-course she had.
As a consequence: there are many more 8-course instruments on sale than
6 course...

In any case: I just bought a WONDERFUL 8-course from Barber & Harris
(www.lutesandguitars.co.uk). They delivered it to me while in Vienna for
the Resonanzen Festival. In that occasion I played a 6 course they have
available... I wish I had another £ 2,600 for that: it was simply fantastic.
You could have a look to that lute.

Ciao,

Luca
Portogruaro, Venice, Italy