Jim wrote:

>Dear All:
>  The discussion of six-course lutes reminds me of a conversation I had a
>while back with Grant Tomlinson. (Grant -- sorry in advance if I misquote
>you!)
>  We were discussing descant lutes and he stated his strong preference for
>six-courses over seven courses. His reasoning is that the bridge width on a
>seven-course constricts the vibration of the top, making the instrument
>less responsive as it vibrates less freely.
>  If we work our way back to alto and tenor lutes, perhaps this same idea
>applies, although not in such an extreme manner.

This is interesting. I have recently been doing some transcribing
from Vallet's lute book, especially the quartet music and have
noticed that all four parts appear to be written for ten course
lutes. I've been trying to imagine a ten course descant, and also to
recall what Gail Gillepsie plays in the Venere Quartet. If I recall
correctly it's a six course descant. So how do we approach this
music? Play on larger instruments? Make a ten course descant? Just
let the bass have all those low notes by itself? I'm curious as to
what the current players do versus what the composer might have
originally had in mind. I'd especially like to hear what the Venere
Quartet (if any of them are online here) did and why they decided to
make the decisions they made.

Regards,
Craig