On Elizabethan pronunciation:
([ai:] is, more or less, the sound we usually make at
the end of 'July'; [i:] that at the end of 'truly'.)

"Final long i is a problem. Rhymes from the late
sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries would
suggest both [i:] and [ai:] were possible (he/harmony
as well as eye/victory). The problem arises when two
words with ambiguous final -y (or -ie) rhyme. It is
likely that in a rhyme like beautifies/harmonies both
words would be pronounced with [ai], but since both
pronounciations existed we cannot be certain. These
variations probably indicate flexibility in
pronunciation of final -y/-ie; they are unlikely to
indicate that [i:] was accepted as rhyme for [ai]."
(Klauser, in 'Singing Early Music', ed. McGee Rigg and
Klausner, 1996, p23. A great book, btw - essays on
pronunciation of most languages, and regional forms of
Latin, likely to be encountered by singers of early
music from c 1100 to c 1700, with accompanying cd
giving spoken examples).

Since there no rhyme in question in 'July in her eyes
hath place', it seems perverse to obscure the meaning
by using an unfamiliar pronunciation, especially if no
effort is being made towards Elizabethan pronunciation
in the rest of the song. Besides, the assonance
between "July" and "eyes" is rather pleasing.

best wishes,
Katherine Davies
(having the same argument with my choir)