I think we are all confusing string lengths and different sizes of
instruments.

Different sizes of lutes can be strung with the same gauges of
strings, but they end up tuned to different pitches.

Theorbos are simply tuned to G or A, while following a pitch standard
(392/415/440). If a theorbo is larger, the strings required to reach
its intended pitch are thinner, therefore a brighter sound? Does that
mean that those huge theorbos (90s string length) from 1600 have a
typically bright sound?

It seems to me than as time went on, the sound ideal developed from a
bright trebly sound to a dark bassy one. Seems like a conscious
effort on the part of historical instrument makers.

Shaun