On Mar 26, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Vance Wood wrote:

> I used to play with the nails many years ago.  I got a pretty good
> sound as
> well but I didn't then realize that I was only playing one string
> in the
> pair that makes up a course.

Yeah, getting both strings with the nail is a problem.  I'm pretty
sure that I'm plucking both strings, but the string that my nail hits
first is always going to be louder of the two.

> You can play with the nails but I think what
> you will find you either create a lousy sound or you do not play
> all the
> strings you are supposed to.

Well, I think I'm getting a good sound, albeit a thinner and sharper
one than thumb-under gives me.

For 16th-century music I still use thumb-under in the "traditional"
way, simply keeping my nails out of the way.  But the 17th-century
music seems to lend itself to a sharper, more aggressive sound.  The
lute that I'm experimenting with nails on is my 66.5cm 10-course.

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com