Daniel reminds me that the Richard Allison Psalmes of David were brought to
North America with two lutes on board the Mayflower. There is much religious
music for lute, as several readers of this list have already indicated. Some of
the earliest cantional settings of psalms and hymns are in the lute repertory.
Cantional settings have the cantus firmus in the TOP part, not buried in the
tenor as Goudimel does.

Among 16th century Protestant repertory are the fantasias on "Durch Adams Fall"
and "Ich rufe zu Dir" in Reymann's tablature (1598), also mentioned by Daniel
These are really what might later be called chorale preludes (as Howard noted).
Reussner's are of this variety.  There is in fact a doctoral dissertation now
underway that will explore chorale settings in the lute repertory.  The topic
is long overdue for an in-depth study.

And then there is my favorite ascription to "van Ghelingho" (a Dutch composer
according to one writer) in that Naples manuscript (ex-Berlin 40032).  It
really a misspelling of vangelo, "gospel" in Italian. In other words it is a
rubric indicating that the pieces were to be played before the reading of the
Gospel at mass.  It is one of the few indications that lute was used during the
service. (It is always possible the practice was so widespread nobody commented
on it.) The otherwise untitled pieces are the tripartite motet "Benedicta es
celorum" by Josquin.  Probably the most popular sacred piece in the Renaissance
lute repertory. Francesco wrote two ricercars on it (Nos. 87a and 87b; cf. App.
30 for an intabulation of the motet), and Marco did another (Munich No. 32).
--ajn