Herbert wrote:

>Aplogies to those who find this slightly off topic.
>
>Does a good lute builder know everything about fine woodworking?
>
>Or are there areas of cabinetmaking, carving, modeling, etc which
>require interesting knowledge that a lute builder doesn't need?

There are whole areas of cabinet making and joinery that a luthier
never needs, and apart from a decent band saw or table saw there are
almost no power tools necessary to the craft of lutherie. Planes,
chisels and some really good chip carving knives for the rose, a glue
pot and a heated bending form are just about it. I may have missed
one or two items that I'm sure the real luthiers out here will
correct me on. Clamps. Definitely some clamps. Some of the tools are
specific and may have to be built. David van Edwards would certainly
be, IMO, a definitive source for kitting out a shop properly. I hope
he chimes in.

Regards,
Craig