Well, first, if you use his mathematical method, you compound your
measurement error at every fret, so, of course it sound out of tune. Each
fret should be measured from the nut.

Second, Dowland's instructions have a big error in the placement of the
seventh fret (unless I'm just completely missunderstanding what he's
saying)... and it's really hard to do things like divide a measure into
elevenths... If you're tying on the frets, why not just do it by ear?

BTW, I have a spreadsheet that will give you fret placement for
Pythagorean tuning at
http://doctoroakroot.com/tools/Pythagorean_Fret_Calculator.xls - much
easier than Dowland :o)