Dear Donatella and Roman,

You needed to go one file further to those waltzes (the music can be
downloaded) of Anton [B.] Weiss, son?? of Johann Adolf Weiss, son of JAFWeiss.
So if I'm correct, he's a great grandson.  See Zuth's Handbuch der Laute und
Gitarre.  I've been tossing around the name Rockstro, somewhat with tongue in
cheek.  That is a household name only to flute players.  R.S.Rockstro authored
a Treatise on the Flute (London 1889; Rpt 1967) that is a virtual encyclopedia
of the flute (650++ pages). It contains an extensive article on the son, Carl
N., who travelled, Donatella, extensively in Italy, as far south as Naples.  In
Bergamo he studied composition with Simon Mayr. And a bit of information on the
father.  I don't think they were closely related to the lute-playing Weisses.

I don't know if the father ever travelled to Copenhagen. He traveled with an
English patron to Rome, and then to London (1768).  But apparently he left
London and returned to Muehlhausen where he opened an indigo factory (Eitner's
Quellen-Lexicon).  There is more information unavailable to me at home.  But he
is mentioned by the blind flutist virtuoso Friedrich Ludwig Dulon, whose
2-volume  autobiography was edited by the famous poet Wieland ("Oberon").
There could be many reasons why Gieddes copied the trio (his signature is on
the title page).  Maybe the king of  Denmark played flute.  I find his music
quite good.

Of course, Weiss is a familiar German name. Another Carl Weiss, Dr. Carl Austin
Weiss in 1935 assassinated Huey Long, the notorious Lousiana right-wing
politician and demigod, who was a serious rival to Roosevelt for the
presidency.<shudder>   --ajn